Saturday, February 28, 2015

Cherished Card

I love the look of multi-media cards, distress inks, art journal pages, ATC and other artsy projects. But my own stuff usually ends up pretty structured and stiff. So the most recent challenge at Waffle Flower was a tough one for me. It was a photo inspiration challenge and the photo was a white pillow with some overlapping transparent circles in different colors. 

So I found a stamp from Club Scrap that I had never used before with some overlapping circles on it. I stamped it with clear embossing ink and then embossed with a two-tone light pink embossing power from Lindy's Stamp Gang. 

Then I blended two colors of distress ink over that and cut around the stamped image in a shape that somewhat resembles the pillow. This piece is popped up with foam tape to give it some dimension.

The background paper needed to be subtle so it wouldn't compete with the stamped image. I found this light pink paper from Studio G in my stash. I needed to break up the solid background so a stamped the loopy shape along the left. 

Finally, since the inspiration photo included some smaller circles, I got out the raindrops from Cloud 9 and placed them in sort of a spiral along the card.




This card needed a sentiment, but because the design was so unusual, the usual sentiments didn't seem to fit. It needed a word that expressed a concept or emotion rather than the usual "thank you," or "I love you." I found the word "Cherished" in one of my MFT stamp sets and that worked. 

For all that effort I'm glad this one qualifies for more than one challenge. The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge is "Think Pink." The embossed image may look almost white, but it is a two-tone embossing power and is actually pink, especially if you hold it at the right angle. The background paper is pink, and the word "Cherished" is stamped in pink.

This one will go in the Simon Says Stamp Monday -- "No Rules," and their Wednesday challenge -- "Anything Goes." 


Stamps: Club Scrap, My Favorite Things, Stampology
Inks: Studio G and Tsukineko Brilliance
Distress Inks: Broken China, Iced Spruce
Embossing Powder: Lindy's Stamp Gang

No comments:

Post a Comment